Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Finding The Good Stuff

Counting Bears  (Walmart $4.00)




For many of us buying "authentic" montessori materials from one of the online stores is not going to happen on a regular basis.  However, I am quickly finding out that between a few online stores (such as MontessoriOutlet.com) a few websites with free print outs  (montessoriforeveryone.com or montessorimom.com) and my love for thrift stores is really paying off when it comes to collecting activities for my kids to learn & play with.




Wooden counting strips (found at a thrift store for $1.81)


I have found many games in thrift stores that are a fraction of what you would pay in Target or Kohl's & are in perfect shape.  I have also found many things that I am learning to adapt (trays (50 cents) for the sand for use with Sandpaper Letters) or blocks (that cost me $1.81) that I painted and used for working on patterns. I also went to Micheal's to get the supplies for a counting activity (wooden circles & popsicle sticks) & for the counting caterpillar.



Melissa & Doug Pizza ($3.50).  Great for sorting or dividing.

I am also a big fan of Melissa & Doug toys which I seem to find quite often at thrift stores (or on Craigslist).  I like there basic design, the fact that they are wood and that you have to use your imagination.  That said I have found a Melissa & Doug Pizza, Cake & Sushi.  I also have found Plan Toys animals & vegetables.  All of these have been great for playing kitchen or restaurant as well as learning to split things up (in half, thirds or sixths).

No comments:

Post a Comment