Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Busting Up the Ice

So I am so ready for spring!  We got a few warm days here last week & it really gave me spring fever.  I even started cleaning out the basement.  And with that I found lots of little "good for nothing toys" or so I thought at the time.  Anyway, I was collecting them in a pile (originally for the Thrift store), but once I started thinking about hot days & the way all the little toys ended up in our make shift water table last year (post on that later).  I thought I should save them to that again. 

But then alas more snow came & my warm thoughts are no longer here, as I shoveled myself out & watched as Asher helped sprinkle salt on the front walk.  Then Asher started banging up pieces of ice with a hammer from the garage. So that is when I thought of my little ice treasure idea. 

I took all the little toys from the basement & playroom that noboby seems to know where they came from or what to do with them & froze them in a pan of water.  What fun.   The boys thought they looked so cool & they kept hunting for everything them dropped in the pan.  when we were dropping them in, they noticed (& we talked about how somethings floated & some things sank) so some were on the bottom & some were on the top. 

Well after the examination the real fun began.  Asher needless to say went straight for the hammer and broke it up.  Jack on the other hand wanted hot water & while he was waiting for that he sprinkled rock salt on it. Which we talked about once he did it, but that proved to be too slow of a process for him & he poured the hot water on it & then finished it off with the hammer. 

But best of all once all of this was done, the mess melted away & those little useless toys were fun again for 20 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment