Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Word Game

Jack is really into sounding out words right now, but gets easily bored of "practicing" sight words.  Even though I made a really cool tape road on the play room wall & all the sight words are on car shapes & he is trying to get to the finish line.

So, my search for something a little more fun & practical was underway.  And I am happy to say I found a really neat simple game.  This came from Kellyskindergarten.com  (under games).  There are a few versions of this game.  However, I chose the space one since that is one of Jack's interests.
The pictures are actually in color (which were awesome) but we only have a black and white printer.  So, I chose light blue card stock to print them on & as I was watching TV one night I embelished them a bit with my markers.  I then laminated them, cut them & put a hole in the corner to keep them on a ring. 

The words I printed out to use for now are simple, CVC words.  But she also has a set of -ing words, which will be great as we branch out.  The game is simple, you pull a card & sound out the word.  If you know it you keep it & if not you put it back.  There are a few "extra" cards that let you take a card from a fellow player (alien), get an extra turn (shooting star) or end the game (Earth).  We have played this over and over. Jack is trying so hard to learn new words to be able to get new cards.  I really like it, because it is quick & simple (I can play it while making dinner).

No comments:

Post a Comment