Sunday, March 6, 2011

Puzzles

Seems like something so simple, yet my youngest son has always gotten frustrated with puzzles.  He was always anxious to try them out, but it never seemed to get completed.  We could work on them together and he never really got the matching of the pieces.  I could start them and he just couldn't see to correlation to the pieces that were left.  This "puzzled" me to some extent since his brother has always done them & enjoyed them immensely. 

And yes we have puzzles of all varieties and age levels (even though he is 4).  Anyway, this morning while we are in the midst of getting ready for school (and all it entails), Asher drags out an extra large 48 piece dinosaur floor puzzle & asks for some help once he is finished flipping over all the pieces.

My first instinct was to say no, because I was trying to get things & bodies ready to get out the door in 20 minutes.  However, I decided to stop and help since this was completely prompted by him (under no ones suggestion) & he was already flipping over all the pieces.  To my utter & complete surprise, he completed the majority of the puzzle by himself (I even got up a few times, left and came back).  He didn't lose interest in it before it was finished & he never got frustrated. 

I was so proud of him and his accomplishment.  This just really speaks to the fact that some kids are ready for things at different stages and that fact that when something is child driven it is so much more productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment