Monday, March 7, 2011

Making Pretzels

Lots of cooking has been going on recently.  I guess that is what happens when it is cold and snowy outside.  Needless to say, I probably need a lot less sweet stuff in the house, so I started to hunt for new "healthy" recipes the boys could help me with.  Although the boys would have been just as happy with another batch of cookies, brownies or muffins.
I came up with two winners.  The first one being chewy granola bars.  Which turned out great, I love them & we have tried them with many different kinds of dried fruit in them, including apricots, craisins, mangos, apples & pears.

But the real hit was the whole wheat pretzels. The recipe called for regular flour, but I always try to substitue all or part.  The first time we made them I did half & half & then the other 2 times we have made them I have used all whole wheat & they have turned out just as good.

The boys loved rolling out the pretzels and twisting them up.  We have tried them plain, with cheese and with cinnamon on them.  We have enjoyed them with dinner (dip them in soup & both the soup & the pretzel are gone in no time).  We have eaten them for an after dinner snack with cinnamon on top.  And I sliced them in half & use it as sandwich bread, which was a huge hit when Jack opened up his lunch box at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment